Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Road Is Not Easy

The road to being prosperous is not easy. The mind has to expand and understand that prosperity is not simply about money. Prosperity is the relationships with others, the wealth of friends, the wealth of health, the wealth of sprituality and the wealth of income. Without those, there is no prosperity.

When I first started in the money group, I was afraid of every single thing in life. I had to overcome all those fears and face other fears. The road was not easy. But from where I was at, the road could only go up.

One of the things that I did was to make excuses. I could justify anything that happened to me as a result of everyone else not being fair. A great lesson I learned is that “LIFE IS NOT FAIR.” Everyone keeps saying that life is fair or should be fair. Yet, there are instances in everyday life to show you that life is not fair.

For example, a great challenge to me was that I kept saying to myself that I was poor only because I was on my way to med school. Hell, if I had become a doctor, I would be even poorer because of all the financial products I would have had to take out to pay for my schooling. I kept using my credit card to get that simple and quick satisfaction so I could go on living. But when those credit bills came, I retreated and ran away.

I was living day to day through my credit cards. Could not pay off my student loans. My credit was shot. Could not even get blockbuster renting credit. What I should have done was get another job!!! What a lazy SOB I was. But nope, I reasoned and rationalized that because I was a Donner Fellow from the Institute of Bling-Bling, it was beneath me to work to get more money. I was a doctor of philosophy after all. I was worth more than serving coffee and drinks.

Unfortunately, not having worked in high school, I was separated and feared the work of manual labor. My kids will not be because I want them to have a complete understanding of where money comes from.

So for those of you out there who can not buy the things that you want. Or you can not pay your bills. Or you don’t go out with your friends because you can not afford it. Or you are welching on your business partners. Listen to the advice. Get another job. Get off your lazy ass. Go pay your obligations. Show that you can take care of yourself. It can be done. If I can do it, so can you.

No comments: