Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Toastmasters Experience.

I joined a second Toastmasters club two weeks ago. Today was the first time where I had to give table topics in two clubs. In Club 4422, it was pretty tough. The table topic master surprised everyone by creating a competition. In 4422, table topic is usually reserved for everyone to speak. It was highly unusual to make it into a club contest.

I did not do as well since the contestants decided that whatever the topic, we were going to speak about our favorite restaurants. I thought that I did reasonably well. I tied for first. The topic was "Money makes the world go round."

In the second TM group, I spoke again because the group likes to incorporate new members into the Table Topics. The topic was second chances. I spoke about how everyone wants second chances. It was amazing being in front of a larger group, a more serious group. I joined the Rockridge group because they were of a higher caliber than 4422. My wife said that if I wanted to become a millionaire, I had to go to another level. So, I went out of my comfort level and began my journey to multi-millionaire.

Toastmasters has definitely expanded the way in which I communicate. I try not to care as much when I speak to people. They will think what they want. I might as well not worry about them. I should worry about me.

Hopefully, I can get my bronze level communications program completed by Dec 2007. With 2 clubs, it should be more manageable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tatang, wow -- this was back in 2007. Where are you with Toastmasters now?

Are you still with both clubs?

I wanted to connect with some Toastmasters to share some tips on getting the most out of Toastmasters.

Here are my thoughts on how to make sure that your Toastmasters experience doesn't suck:
http://www.kevinkane.com/2010/11/how-to-make-sure-that-your-toastmasters-experience-doesnt-suck/

Best, Kevin